This paper summarizes risks associated with different types of mobile projects (p.7) and sets out five principles when designing projects (followed by specific action points that will help you to achieve them):
- Projects should take steps to ensure that user data is secure from third party surveillance.
- Mobile ICT4D projects should limit data collection to what is absolutely necessary for
the project’s goals.
- Mobile ICT4D projects should be transparent about what data is collected, how it is
shared, and how it might be used in the future.
- In addition to addressing user questions and concerns, mobile ICT4D projects should
give users the ability to access, amend, and/or delete their data.
- Mobile ICT4D projects should assume accountability for potential risks and harms
incurred via their projects and platforms.
Where this came from: This resource was developed by the New America Foundation’s Open Technology Institute.
Status: Completed. If you have found this resource useful, please get in touch with us via email post[at]theengineroom.org or tweet us @engnroom