This Responsible Data Forum aimed to explore the challenges facing public advocacy initiatives who host data online, and hosting providers who provide them with services. Some of the use cases considered included:
- An NGO mapping crisis data and providing online tools to access that data.
- A hosting provider active in the civil society sector wanting to adhere (and be known to adhere) to high privacy, security, and ethics standards
- An organization designing a website that allows anonymous reports of citizens towards a specific subject.
- A technology firm doing development work for an activist group
The forum aimed to explore the ethical, privacy and security challenges posed by hosting and running an online system for data gathering, sharing, and storing, and develop responses to meet those challenges.
Forum outputs included:
- Newbie Guide on Selecting Hosting Providers: This guide will help you navigate the process of selecting a hosting provider for your website.
- Should My Website Have an SSL? A splash site designed to help people think and learn about the importance of secure online communication.