This guide gives practical guidance for protecting personal data in the context of migrant assistance.
The manual has three parts: the first part outlines the IOM data protection principles as informed by relevant international standards; the second part includes comprehensive guidelines on each principle, consideration boxes and practical examples; and the third part provides generic templates and checklists.
The principles are:
- Lawful and fair collection
- Specified and legitimate purpose
- Data quality
- Transfer to third parties
- Access and transparency
- Data security
- Retention of personal data
- Application of the principles
- Ownership of personal data
- Oversight, compliance and internal remedies